Mile Marker #27 on Your Roadmap to Success
First Impressions are Critical! There are many books written about these crucial six seconds and the following thirty minutes. Here are five steps to making an Awesome First Impression.
- Dress to Impress. Your clothes should be appropriate, clean, pressed, and tasteful.
- Be Prepared. Whenever possible, know about the person you have just met, the company you are calling on, or the organization holding the meeting. Whatever the situation, know everything you can before you go.
- Call people by their name. Even if you have to ask again, use their name. Get good at remembering names.
- Listen. Really listen. Ask good questions. Talk less and listen more.
- Make eye contact. Smile. Remember to look them in the eyes and smile.
No matter what you do, making an awesome first impression is important for long-term success. These five steps are so easy, yet so critical. Excel at them.
What is appropriate dress for your industry?
What are the things you should not wear?
How can you and your team improve on this?
What are the things that you do to prepare for meetings?
How do you remember names? Is this something you should improve on?
How can you tell when someone is listening to you? How can you tell if they are not listening? When are you guilty of not listening?
Discuss eye contact. Is this uncomfortable for you?
Practice with each other. Take 3 to 5 minutes and just have a conversation. Really listen when the other one is talking. Make eye contact.