“Success in life is founded upon attention to the small things rather than to the large things.” -Booker T. Washington
No matter what you do, we all only have 24 hours in a day. What you do with that time determines how productive or unproductive you’ll be. When you commit to these 7 simple steps you’ll find it is possible to get the most out of your day.
Here are the seven steps to making the most of your day:
1. Plan tomorrow before you leave the office today.
2. Review what you did today and decide one of four things:
What did I not get done that needs to be on tomorrow’s list?
What is on this list that I can delegate?
What is on this list that I can dump and just not do?
What is on this list that I can delay?
3. Always ask yourself, “What is the most important thing I need to achieve tomorrow?
Circle that on the list!
4. Check your goals for the month, quarter, and year.
Are you moving ahead on these?
Do you need to add an action step on tomorrow’s list?
5. Label each according to most important.
One of these methods includes A’s for most important, B’s for less important.
Then ranking these in order of importance (A-1, A-2, etc.)
6. Add 25% more time than you think it will take.
7. Know that you will need breaks during the day to rejuvenate.
I call this adding “White Space” to my day. This is a printing phrase that refers to the area in an advertisement where there is nothing there but “white space. “The white space can make the rest of the ad more appealing, interesting, and readable. It can do the same for your day.
Now go out and make things happen. Make each day productive and yet still enjoy your day and your life.